An Insurance Broker Generalist vs. An Insurance Broker Specialist – Is there a difference?

April 22, 2016
Insurance Generalist vs Insurance Specialist

Have you heard the phrase, “jack of all trades, master of none”? For some this is the core of the debate between which is better, an insurance generalist or an insurance specialist. The short answer is, it depends on your insurance needs.

An insurance generalist is most often referred to as an insurance broker who may sell multiple types of insurance policies. For example, an insurance broker who sells life insurance, vehicle insurance, homeowner insurance, business insurance, etc. would be considered an insurance generalist. Their knowledge is wide, but not necessarily deep. If you are looking for one broker to handle all of your insurance needs, then an insurance generalist may be the best option for you. However, buyer beware! You may need to do your own due diligence and research the intricacies of your insurance policies. An insurance generalist may know just enough to sell you the insurance policy and answer general insurance questions, but questions that require a deep level of specific insurance knowledge may be outside of their area of expertise.

On the other hand, an insurance specialist, as the name implies, focuses on one or very few insurance products. At Top Floor Insurance, we are apartment community insurance specialists. Apartment community insurance is all we do – period. An insurance specialist will have a narrow knowledge base, but will have an unprecedented depth of understanding of the insurance products they sell. This expert-level knowledge our insurance specialists have here at Top Floor Insurance, ensures that we can answer all of your insurance questions and know exactly the right coverage you need to properly protect your investment. If you have a specific insurance need, then working with an insurance specialist, instead of an insurance generalist, is strongly recommended.

As a summary, here are the top two reasons why choosing an insurance broker that specializes in apartment community insurance can save you BIG.

Level of Knowledge. An insurance specialist is an expert, with insider knowledge in terms of the right amount of coverage you need to protect your apartment community. By focusing on one type of insurance product, your broker will know the ins and outs of the policy and ways to save you money.

Access to Resources. At Top Floor Insurance, we have exclusive access to a network of insurance providers that enables us to make sure you are getting the best price on the market. For our clients, this translates into up to 20% in insurance premiums savings – putting hundreds of dollars back into your pocket. Insurance specialists are generally well connected with other important specialists like property managers, inspectors, appraisers, and/or construction companies. Seasoned insurance specialists are often happy to share their expertise and provide referrals to their clients, as needed. Top Floor Insurance is one of these information sharing insurance specialists! Whether you are looking to learn more about apartment community insurance, or want to stay informed on how to shop for insurance products, we offer a fully stocked online library that you can access – on demand.

If you’re in the market for a new insurance broker, or looking for insurance quotes, we, at Top Floor Insurance, welcome the opportunity to connect with you over the phone, or in person. If you have a few minutes, click here, and you can get a FREE and EASY insurance quote from us, with absolutely no obligation to buy!

Check us out on Facebook and see how apartment owners in your area are saving big on insurance premiums.